Learn how to calculate the right amount of paint with these handy tips to help keeps your costs down and reducing waste.
- First, assess the size of the area that you’re painting. Grab a friend to help measure the width and height of walls with a metal tape measure and multiply these together to calculate the overall square metre measurement.
- Subtract the space used by windows and doors using the same calculation method as above, and remove these from your overall square metre measurement.
- Multiply your new total square metre measurement by the number of coats you’ll need – we recommend factoring in at least two coats. It’s also worth including a little extra paint for touch-ups.
- Finally, divide this total figure by the m²/l number on your paint tin (if you can’t see it on the tin, have a look online at the product information section). For our ReColour paint, the m²/l number is 12.
- This will give you the total litres of paint you need for your project.
Find more advice by watching the video below or from Dr Dulux here.
Here is a handy guide of what size paint tin to buy for your project: