This September is Sustainable Living Month, with the aim to encourage people to recycle more, waste less and live sustainably.
Community RePaint schemes across the UK will hold events ranging from paint sales, upcycling workshops and community mural painting.
Events at Community RePaint schemes
- Visit the paint sale at Community RePaint Swindon between 6 and 10 September, where staff will also be available to give advice and tips about selecting the right type and colour of paint.
- Get involved in a ‘bring and take’ event where Community RePaint East London will be giving away free paint on 17 September.
- Community RePaint East Lancashire will be at PROSPECTS Woodland Day on 25 September. There will be a variety of activities and demonstrations throughout the day.
- Join Community RePaint Bradford for an open day at its new premises and a chance to see mural painting in action on Friday 30 September.
- Visit Community RePaint Torfaen at their open day on 27 September where they will have a paint amnesty for local residents and paint for sale at reduced prices.
National activity taking place in September 2017
- Recycle Week (12-18 September) – #RecycleWeek is organised by Wrap with the theme of ‘The Unusual Suspects’ – people often don’t think about leftover paint as being of use, yet the average household is estimated to have 17 tins of paint hanging around in sheds, cupboards or garages. The aim is to let people know there is something positive they can do with any paint they have leftover.
- Zero Waste Week (5-9 September) – #ZeroWasteWeek is a grass roots international awareness campaign aiming to reduce landfill. Our events will show people how they can make the best use of leftover paint at a low cost.
- Waste less, Live more week (19-25 September) – #wastelesslivemore is organised by Keep Britain Tidy to encourage people to take part in activities which are good for us and good for the environment. Some of our events will show people how they can recolour their home, community space or sports club.
Community RePaint Network and Sustainble Living
The Community RePaint Network is run by Resource Futures and sponsored by Dulux, which is part of AkzoNobel. Dulux has sponsored the Community RePaint network since 1993, to bring colour into communities by reusing waste paint.
AkzoNobel’s UK Sustainability Director Susan Kendall said, “Community RePaint does vital work motivating communities to get involved in gathering and redistributing leftover paint. We look forward to continuing our partnership with them, supporting and helping grow the network to take it from strength to strength, bringing colour to more communities across the UK.”
Martin Pearse, Community RePaint Network Manager, talks about the events happening during Sustainable Living Month: “Community RePaint schemes around the UK are always looking at ways that they can help to add colour to people’s lives. Sustainable Living Month is a great opportunity to show even more people what can be achieved with a lick of paint. There will be experts on hand at many of the schemes in September to share tips and ideas about what you can do at low cost, whether that’s for your family, community group or local sports club.”
If you, your family or community group need paint, no matter how much or how little, you can get in touch with your nearest Community RePaint scheme by clicking here and entering your location.
You can also call the Community RePaint team on 0845 180 0501 for information.